Welcome to Thorney Hill and Bransgore WI. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 2.15p.m. at Bransgore Village Hall, Burley Road, Bransgore BH23 8DR. We are a friendly group of ladies who enjoy a varied list of speakers, a cup of tea and of course, a good chat.
Between our meetings we arrange various activities on a monthly basis, these include Morning Coffee and Cake or Afternoon Teas, a Book Club, Lunch Club and Knit and Natter. We also organise walks, weather permitting, and the occasional Shopping Excursion. Other trips organised are on an ad hoc basis and during 2018 we visited Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and The Mary Rose, Winchester Flower Festival and joining another WI for a visit to Prince Charles’ garden at Tetbury. In 2019 Thorney Hill and Bransgore WI will reach our 100th Birthday and we hope to arrange some special events to celebrate this milestone.
We also join with Hampshire WI group events, including the Spring and Autumn Council Meeting, WI Quiz and Skittles events, WI Fest, Bootleg Beatles at Hillier Gardens, Romsey and of course our entries to the WI tent at the New Forest Show.
If you think what we do might be of interest to you we would love to welcome you to one of our monthly meetings as a guest and maybe a new member if you decide that you like us. If you would like more information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Wendy on 01202 488846.
- 8th January – WI Lunch, 12.30p.m. Carpenters Arms Burley Road, Bransgore
- 9th January – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- Pageantry, Pride & Nostalgia, Speaker – Bruce Worthy
- 24th January Craft, Knit, Natter and whatever is your thing afternoon, 2.30p.m. 12 St Marys Close, Bransgore
- 6th February – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- Talk – The History of Bransgore, Speaker – Mr D Patterson
- 12th February – WI Lunch, 12.30p.m. Carpenters Arms Burley Road, Bransgore
- 21st February – Coffee and Cake, 10.30a.m. Stewarts Garden Centre, Lyndhurst Road, Christchurch
- 1st March – Book Club, 2.30p.m. The Crown, Bransgore
- 6th March – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- Talk – The Titanic Story, Speaker – Jack Wilson
- 12th March – WI Lunch, 12.30p.m. Carpenters Arms Burley Road, Bransgore
- 14th March – Coffee and Cake, 10.30.M. Cliff Hanger Restaurant, Highcliffe
- 18th March – Day Trip to Denman College, Oxford
- 26th March – HCFWI Spring Council Meeting, Guildhall, Portsmouth Ticket £15.75 plus bus fare
- 3rd April – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- Talk – The Hat Lady, Speaker – Penny Muddell
- 5th April – Book Club, 2.30p.m. The Crown, Bransgore
- 9th April – WI Lunch, 12.30p.m. Carpenters Arms Burley Road, Bransgore
- 11th April – Ringwood Group Spring Meeting, Speaker – Angela Turner, 2.00-4.00p.m. Greyfriars, Ringwood Ticket £5
- 1st May -Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- Annual Meeting, Speaker – Janice Perry
- 6th May – Bransgore Fun Day – Come and see us on our Bottle Stall and try your luck in our Bottle Tombola
- 5th June – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- 19th June – Synagogue Visit, Southampton
- 3rd July – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- 30th, 31st July, 1 August – New Forest Show
- No Meeting
- 4th September – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- 1st October – HCFWI Autumn Council Meeting, The Anvil, Basingstoke
- 2nd October – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- 3rd October – Ringwood Group Autumn Meeting
- 6th November – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
- 100 Year Birthday Celebration
- 4th December – Monthly Meeting, 2.15p.m. Bransgore Village Hall
Our Year 2019
This year in November we will be celebrating our 100th Birthday and we hope to hold some special trips and events throughout the year to make it a memorable one.
Our Year 2018
In November we celebrated our 99th Birthday with a delicious meal and entertainment and a sing-a-long with Simon.
Henry VIII and the Mary Rose
A few of our members visiting Henry VIII and his ship at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. At least they kept their heads!!
We enjoyed a visit to a Hindu Temple in Southampton where we were made most welcome. We listened to a very informative talk about their beliefs and customs. On the way home we stopped for lunch at garden centre where some of us couldn’t resist taking home a plant of two.
Our stall at WI Fest was a Bottle Tombola. It wasn’t long before visitors were wandering around carrying a green or purple bag with their winning bottle inside. A very successful day enjoyed by all.
Bootleg Beatles at Hillier Gardens
To celebrate the 100th Birthday of the formation of the WI Hampshire Federation organised an evening at Hillier’s Gardens in Romsey. The Bootleg Beatles performed a variety of numbers which allowed us all to travel down memory lane. It was a lovely warm evening and we took along a picnic to enjoy as we reminisced. Finishing off the evening with an amazing firework display.
Winchester Cathedral Flower Exhibition
A few of our members travelled to Winchester to see the flowers in the Cathedral. As it was also the centenary of the ending of WW1 a lot of the displays represented Remembrance.