Welcome to the Wallops WI website
This year we are celebrating our centenary year. Our WI was set up in October 1919!
Our October meeting was a meeting to remember as members celebrated the centenary. As part of our celebration, our WI decided to make a wall hanging to decorate our local hall where we meet. Under the direction of our President, Clare Goodman, we discussed the design and implementation and most of our members contributed to the finished result, using a wide variety of crafting techniques. The wall hanging reflects our villages and many of the various activities members have undertaken over the years. As well as proudly displaying our wall hanging, further celebrations involved a buffet supper for members, partners, past members and friends. Much fund raising was undertaken throughout the previous year so that we could put on a worthy event with food, wine, celebration cake and music provided by a local band, ‘Odd Man Out’.
Here’s to the next 100 years!
The Wallops WI covers the three villages of Over, Nether and Middle Wallop and outlying communities.
There has been a WI in the Wallops since 1919, in either one or both of the villages. We are looking forward to celebrating our 100th anniversary in 2019.
Our monthly meetings are held on the second Thursday of every month at 7.30pm prompt in The Wallops Parish Hall, Middle Wallop.(on the A343)
We always welcome new members and visitors to our meetings. Why not take a look at our programme and if there is a topic which interests you then come along as a visitor. We would love to meet you.
In addition to our monthly programme, we arrange outings and host our annual garden party in August each year. We have a darts team which has been playing for two years and meets most Wednesday lunchtimes for practice at The White Hart pub in Over Wallop.
At present, we have 31 members of varying ages and interests.
12 September 2019
- Talk/ Activity – The Life and Poems of Edward Lear
- Speaker – Michael Goater
10 October 2019
- Talk/ Activity – Special Centenary celebration for members and partners with a band and buffet at 7.00pm-10.00pm
14 November 2019
- Talk/ Activity – Danebury Vineyards and The English Wine Industry (Open Meeting)
- Speaker – Caroline Stevens
12 December 2019
- Talk/ Activity – Christmas Dinner – TBA
9 January 2020
- Talk/ Activity – Charity project on Sewing in Tanzania
- Speaker – Rebecca Clayton
13 February 2020
- Talk/ Activity – Hinton Ampner: History of the house and garden before the National Trust
- Speaker – John Wood
12 March 2020
- Talk/ Activity – Survey on the Wallop Brook with Alison Cross (Open Meeting)
- Speaker – Hampshire & IOW Trust
9 April 2020
- Talk/ Activity – Managing our waste
- Speaker – Test Valley Council
- Talk/ Activity – AGM and Resolution vote