Are you looking for something new?
The first WI in the British Isles was set up in Wales in 1915 to encourage women to produce more food during the First World War. It gave women a role and a voice during a very difficult part of our history and, as the organisation has grown, it has continued to encourage women to campaign and give weight to worthwhile causes. Here in South Wonston, our first meeting took place in March 1963 and has had a healthy membership ever since.
South Wonston WI is a friendly group of ladies of different ages and varied interests. We meet on the 2nd Monday of each month in the Village Hall, SO21 3EU at 7.30pm.
We meet regularly for coffee and afternoon tea and you might also find us in a local pub on one of our monthly lunch trips. We also have a weekly walking group and a keen book group. We are lively and enthusiastic ladies who are forward thinking and open to any suggestions and change.
We are now back to meeting in person following covid regulations. It almost feels normal. We are able to have coffee mornings again in small numbers and the walking group is still clocking up the miles. Our Book Group is currently meeting monthly on Zoom.
We would love to see you at any of our meetings so please do come along. For further information please call Delyse on 07801 848860.
Programme 2021 – 2022
13 December 2021
- Talk – Christmas from the Great American Songbook
- Speaker – Chris Walker
- This is our Christmas meeting so let’s celebrate the festive season with mince pies and mulled wine.
10 January 2022
- Talk – ‘The Empowerment Model’ How we are programmed to be the way we are.
- Speaker – Kim Searle
14 February 2022
- Talk – ‘The Romance of the Letter Box’
- Speaker – Tony Cross
14 March 2022
- Talk – ‘In Grandpa’s Footsteps’ – A tale of two journeys
- Speaker – Liz Barron OBE
- This is our Birthday meeting and so we will be inviting other local WIs to celebrate with us.