Shipton Bellinger W I – A short History
One of the oldest organisations in the village is the Shipton Bellinger branch of the Women’s Institute; this was first formed in 1933, the meetings were held monthly and hosted a wide range of activities including a Drama Society and a Choral Society.
The WI’s concept of improving life in the countryside and community was also acted upon and as far back as 1936 there were recommendations from the members to the Parish Council that there should be a 30mph speed limit through the village. The members also looked after the war memorial. We continue to care for the War Memorial and give it an annual clean up every November.
The outbreak of war saw the ladies rallying to the needs of the country helping with the evacuation of children from Portsmouth, knitting for the Red Cross, the forces and various hospitals. They also set up a Fruit Preservation Centre and produced 500lbs of jam in one season!
Today, Shipton Bellinger WI is still as popular as ever. There is Book Club once a month. Also an occasional Lunch Club along with various walks and trips. We always enter the HCFWI Quiz and the Skittles competition.
President – Diana Cuthbert- contact via WI House: Tel 023 8061 6712
We meet on 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7.30pm in the Fletcher Room of Shipton Bellinger Village Centre, Parkhouse Road. SP9 7TL Visitors can be sure of a warm welcome.
- 10 Feb Light hearted look at Opera – Jennifer Parker-Lummis on Zoom
- 10 Mar Paper crafting – Leila Khasal on Zoom
- 14 Apr Wild Deer – Rosie Wilcock on Zoom
- 12 May Zoom tour of Crosslands flower nursery by Ben Cross followed by Annual Meeting on Zoom
- 9 Jun Showcasing his Clarinets & Saxophones – Simon Morgan on Zoom
- 14 Jul A “real” meeting outdoors on The Playing Field
- 11 Aug I Sew Therefore I Am – Maggie Forbes meeting inside in Fletcher Room again
- 8 Sep Making the most of Venison – Rosie Wilcock back by popular choice
- 13 Oct
- 10 Nov
- 8 Dec
Book Club meets 3rd Wednesday in month
Art class/ group on Thursdays alternate weeks – to be resumed
Croquet every Thursday evening in summer months
Walking on Tuesday most mornings
Other groups can be started eg drama, singing etc – whatever you would like