Odiham WI meets at the Fountains Cafe, The High Street, Odiham, Hampshire, RG29 1LP on the 2nd Thursday of the month, at 7.30pm. Most months we have a speaker and also time for tea/coffee and cake, and of course some socialising.
- We have a monthly lunch group trying out the local restaurants and pubs.
- We join in the activities organised by our local group of WIs and also enter the county Quiz and Skittles competitions.
- In the summer we arrange a visit to a local place of interest.
Members have the opportunity to take part in events arranged in Hampshire and further afield by the County and National Federations.
Details of our meetings are published in the Odiham Parish News and also on the Parish Noticeboard in the High Street.
Our President is Helen Donohoe and she and all our members will be very pleased to welcome visitors at any of our meetings. If you are passing, please pop in, you will be very welcome.
Programme for 2020
12 March 2020
- Talk by local Bee Keeper – from hive to jar
9 April 2020
- Death by Chocolate!! Quiz, tasting and more
14 May 2020
- AGM – followed by tea and cake
Sample of previous talks
10 January 2019
- Magic Show with magician Robin Maddy
14 February 2019
- ‘Careers, Cakes and Catering’- a talk by a member
14 March 2019
- ‘Mend and Make Do 1942 ‘- a talk by Deborah Wheeler
11 April 2019
- ‘The Lancashire Witches Walk’ – a talk by Ian Thornton-Bryar
9 May 2019
- Annual Meeting
- Beetle Drive
13 June 2019
- ‘Hats Off to Millinery’- The Art of Couture Millinery’ a talk by Sophie Fryer
11 July 2019
- Summer Outing to West Green House Gardens
8 August 2019
- Afternoon Tea Party
12 September 2019
- Rowhill Candles – A Beeswax Candle Workshop with Brian Graham
10 October 2019
- Murder Mystery Evening
14 November 2019
- ‘Heroes and Villains of the Basingstoke Canal’ a talk by Roger Cansdale from The Basingstoke Canal Society
12 December 2019
- ‘Festive Fables, Christmas Traditions, Customs and Superstitions’ with ‘Pedlars and Petticoats’
Report of the Odiham WI Birthday Party 8th November 2018
On the 8th November 2018 we held our 100th Birthday Party at the Old School, London Road, Odiham.
On arrival our guest had an opportunity to look at the exhibition we had prepared which included information on our activities over the last 100 years, examples of items produced by past members and of course photographs. The patch work quilt which had been made by members in 1984 had been obtained from the National Needlework Archive by Mary Turvill and was part of this display.
Our president Margaret Shaw welcomed our invited guests and members to the evening.
Amongst those present were our County Chairman – Gina Ireland, our two WI Advisers -Helen Carter and Alison Woolford plus members of other WIs in our Group from Aldershot, Church Crookham, Crondall, Crookham Village, Heathuns, and Tilly Widgets.
We then enjoyed a delicious meal organised by one of our members Rosie Holmes-Henderson who had expertly coordinated the dishes produced by members for the buffet.
Our Birthday cake, made by Rosie, was cut at the end of the meal by our County Chairman. She toasted us and wished us well in the years to come and thanked us on behalf of the guests for inviting them all to the evening.
We were then entertained by the Greywell Ringers. We listened to some familiar pieces played on the hand bells and were at times able to sing along. We also had the opportunity to ‘have-a-go’. This offer was taken up by more than twenty of those present and with a little instruction they were able to play three well known songs.
It was declared a successful party by all those who attended.