Welcome to North Waltham WI. We meet in the Rathbone Pavilion on Cuckoo Meadow on the second Thursday of the month at 7.30 pm.
North Waltham WI is NOT: stuffy, old fashioned, cliquey, fogey, boring, silly, nostalgic, out of touch, comical, past its time…
We are a very friendly bunch of ladies of varying ages and it definitely isn’t a requirement that you need to be able to cook, knit, be crafty, etc, to come along – some of our members can but there are many who can’t!
If you join North Waltham WI you will:
- Meet a range of incredibly friendly and interesting women
- Gain an instant support group of women with huge experience and skills
- Challenge yourself with exposure to, and genuine influence on, all kinds of political issues, often before they appear in the national media
- Enjoy some truly entertaining speakers
- Develop your social conscience and enjoy active (but not time-consuming) ways of improving lives
- Gain access to a vast range of things to do: courses, outings, parties, events… all friendly, well-run and sometimes discounted!
- Learn that all WIs are different, but that the North Waltham branch is superbly run with great humour
We have an exciting programme of events planned for this year
Be involved as much or as little as you wish… come just to hear the talks… or go for it with a range of activities as wide as it’s possible to be.
All of this is entirely YOUR choice
If you are not a member of the WI you are more than welcome to come along to any of our meetings if a particular topic interests you or you would just like a night out.
There is a suggested donation of £3.50 for guests to cover refreshments.
13 June 2019
- Outing to Gilbert White House and Garden, High Street, Selbourne.
Arrive to start at 7pm.
11 July 2019
- Garden Meeting
Venue TBC. Fingers crossed for a glorious summer evening. Please bring a chair, bowl, glass and spoon to enjoy wine and strawberries and cream.
- Summer break – no meeting.
12 September 2019
- Orphaned Elephants in Zambia
Our local traveller, Jan Petersen, will talk about the rescue, rehabilitation and release of orphaned elephants. Jan worked for a month on a Zambian project giving innocent victims of ivory poaching a second chance of survival and eventually return to the wild.
10 October 2019
- Air Traffic Control
A talk about what Air Traffic Controllers do in the UK and the changing world of aviation.
14 November 2019
- Blood Bikes
A Blood Bike is a motor cycle used to courier urgent and emergency medical items, including blood, X-ray samples, drugs and documentation between hospitals and other health care facilities – all done by volunteers.
12 December 2019
- Christmas Social and entertainment
9 January 2020
- Petra Jewellery
In 2019 this local jewellers celebrated 40 years of business. Mitch, Petra’s daughter, now runs the business making beautiful pieces of jewellery that capture special memories.
13 February 2020
- Wine Tasting
Smooth, round, buttery, jammy, delicate – some of the many words that we use to describe wine during a wine tasting evening.
12 March 2020
- Our 84th Birthday
Musicality, our local singing trio (David, Bryn and Theresa) will be back again to entertain us.
9 April 2020
- Chair Yoga
You do not need to be bendy to do Yoga! Come along and find out the benefits of chair yoga from a local instructor.
14 May 2020
- AGM and Resolutions
Plus a social evening.