Horndean WI continues to thrive and you would be most welcome to join us. This is our 100th year, and we are celebrating our centenary !We are enjoying a special year, with many things already underway.
Our regular monthly WI meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month. We start at 2.pm and there’s always a warm welcome, a cup of tea, with a biscuit or cake and lots of friendly chat and laughter. We have a raffle, a number of stalls which may vary from month to month and a sales table for books.
Our regular monthly meetings are from 2-4pm in Blendworth Church Hall, Blendworth Lane, Horndean PO8 0AA
Ladies of all ages are welcome, so come along one month, introduce yourself to any member as a visitor and we will make sure you are well looked after. Disabled facilities are available.
Throughout the year there are many other activities including trips and to visits to places of interest.
The Craft Group meets on Wednesday morning from 10-12 at Clanfield Memorial Hall, South Lane, Clanfield. Members crafts range from knitting, beading, card making, embroidery, patchwork and many more. We knit jumpers for children in Lesotho, clothes for the local premature baby unit and hats for Seamen. Occasionally we have specialist workshops such as ceramic painting – enjoyed by all.Each year we have our craft competition which is open to all memebers of Horndean WI with a different theme every time.
Horndean WI has established a link with Durham WI in the Taranaki area of New Zealand. There is a regular exchange of letters, cards, WI magazines and ideas.
They sent us some beautiful words that they use at the start of their meetings and we would like to share them with you!
Keep us O God, from pettiness; let us be large in thought, word and deed.
Let us be done with fault finding and leave off self seeking.
May we put away pretence and meet each other face to face without self pity and without prejudice.
May we never be hasty in judgement and always generous.
Let us take time for all things good; make us grow calm, serene and gentle.Teach us to put into action our better impulses, straightforward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realise it is Meeting, The the little things that create differences, that in the big things of life we are one.
And may we strive to touch and to know the great woman’s heart, common to us all and O Lord God, let us not forget to be kind.
We have an exciting programme this year
- 08 Jan 2019 Resolutions & Centenary Bursary
- 17 Jan 2019 Calendar Girls, The Mayflower
- 19 Jan 2019 Panto at Petersfield Festival Hall
- 12 Febru 2019 Soup Lunch Alan Key “Sveltbard Polar Bears & other flora and fauna”
- 12 March 2019 Sophie Fry “Hats Off”
- 19 March 2019 SDV Group Spring Meeting
- 26 March 2019 HCFWI Spring Council Meeting, Guildhall, Portsmouth
06 April 2019 SDV Group CRAFT SHOW
- 09 April 2019 Maggie Haynes “Tuppenny Barn”
- 14 May 2019 Ploughman’s Lunch Resolutions & Annual Meeting
- 05 June 2019 NFWI Annual Meeting Bournemouth
- 11 June 2019 Debbie Tawlson Macaroons
- 25 June 2019 WI Outing to Abingdon and a river cruise along the Thames
- 09 July 2019 HWI Centenary Craft & Produce Show
- August 2019 Outing to Tuppenny Barn date t.b.c
- 10 Sept 2019 Speaker t.b.c.
- 08 Octo 2019 Dennis Bryant “Potted Panto & Poetry”
- 22 Octo 2019 HCFWI Autumn Meeting, The Anvil, Basingstoke
- 29 Octo 2019 SDV Group Autumn Meeting
- 12 Nov 2019 100th birthday celebration tea with invited guests and entertainment from Tea for Two
- Novr 2019 Members Centenary Lunch
- 05 Dec 2019 SDV Group Christmas Celebration
- 10 Dec 2019 Centenary Christmas Party