We are a small but very friendly group, whose membership ranges from women in their 30s to the more mature! Usually we meet on the 4th Monday of every month at 7.30pm at The Good Shepherd Community Hall, Roewood Road, Holbury, SO45 2JN but right now, things have changed a bit, due to Covid 19! We’re still meeting regularly – but virtually (via ‘Zoom’ instead of face to face) and are currently planning our Meeting Schedule on a rolling 3 month basis. Don’t worry if you’ve never used Zoom before, there’s plenty of help available , so why not give it a try?
In addition to our regular monthly meetings, which form the core of our WI, we also:
- have a Craft Group and New Forest Show Committees for craft and produce;
- arrange an outing each Summer for all of our Members. Most recent excursions include Kew Gardens, Compton Acres (Poole) and Jane Austen’s house at Chawton.
- compete at the New Forest Show (but we will celebrate 100 years of the NFS at a future date) and
- like to take part in the various competitions and events organised by Hampshire Federation and the Beaulieu Group (to which we belong) such as Darts, Skittles and Quizzes as well as the Spring and Autumn meetings.
Although many of our Group activities are currently suspended, our Craft Club has moved online and is proving to be very popular. Regular Quiz Nights are also being run and these are both great fun and well attended.
Visitors are always welcome and with no obligation to join, so why not come along? To find out more and take part in our ‘Zoom’ meetings please email Tracybaker@hampshirewi.org.uk . When things are back to normal we will resume our meetings at our usual venue. Click here for a local map. Look forward to seeing you soon!
- 25th January A taste of Africa
We’re really pleased that Tom Way, wildlife photographer, will be joining us once again. This time to regale us with his tales of shooting animals in Africa (but only through a lens!).
- 22nd February Quirky Birds – So you think you can’t draw?
If the last time you picked up a pencil/paintbrush was in school – never fear – this session is definitely for you!
- 22nd March Mother’s Ruin
Mildred Freeman will lead us through the history of gin!
Craft Club continues but currently only on a virtual basis. Anyone interested in attending please contact Anita.
- 14th January Flower arranging
This month Ginny will lead us in decorating our homes with flowers/foliage principally sourced from the garden.
- 11th February Felt flowers
Tracy is showing us how to make felt flowers – you’ll need felt scraps and the template from your recent meeting bag
- 11th March Decorating eggs for Easter
Get out your paint pots and be prepared to decorate eggs for Easter with Dot
- April Beading
Anita will show us how to be creative with beads (date to be confirmed)
- 21st January It’s Quiz night. Thanks to Katherine for once again compiling the quiz and asking the questions.
- 4th February Online coffee morning – zoom starts at 10.30. Time for coffee and a chat
Suspended until further notice.
- 27th January In Grandma’s Footsteps – Liz Barron continues her story as she tells us what happened to her grandmother after she left China
Plus Resolution selection
- 24th February Life Changing Magic of tidying! – Sue Spencer tells us how to declutter our lives and how to fold knickers perfectly
- March /April Cancelled due to Covid 19
- 1st June AM – Unfortunately, due to ‘lockdown’ it was not possible to hold our AM. Thankfully our existing Officers have agreed to extend their term of office until things get back to normal. A great big ‘thank-you’ to you all!
- 22nd June ‘Virtual’ Flower Arranging in a Teapot – be sure to have a teapot and fresh flowers to hand so that you can learn how to make an arrangement and then share your creation with others!
- 27th July NB date and time change — ‘Virtual’ meeting with Alison Stuart, Australian published author (this meeting will start at 10a.m.) Alison Stuart, is joining us from Oz! Alison is an award winning Australian author and she will be talking to us about how she researched her latest series of books which are set in Singapore.
- August As usual there will be no meeting in August – however look out for Picnic in the Park
- 28th September Codes and AM – Presidential election followed by a presentation on the history and use of codes – with audience participation. Prepare to unlock some secret messages!
- 26th October Tropic Skincare – For regular viewers of ‘The Apprentice” the name Caroline Caine-Richardson will likely be all too familiar. Why not dial in to her presentation on her range of Tropic skincare – it’s sure to be informative.
- 23rd November Time to get crafty – In this years’ group craft session we’re going to learn how to make a festive fabric wreath
- 21st December Blingo Bingo – Be sure to wear something sparkly for the Christmas party !