We are a small but very friendly group, whose membership ranges from women in their 30s to the more mature! Usually we meet on the 4th Monday of every month at 7.30pm at The Good Shepherd Community Hall, Roewood Road, Holbury, SO45 2JN but right now, things have changed a bit, due to Covid 19! We’re still meeting regularly – but virtually (via ‘Zoom’ instead of face to face) and are currently planning our Meeting Schedule on a rolling 3 month basis. Don’t worry if you’ve never used Zoom before, there’s plenty of help available , so why not give it a try?
In addition to our regular monthly meetings, which form the core of our WI, we also:
- have a Craft Group, New Forest Show Committees for craft and produce and a brand new Book Club;
- arrange an outing each Summer for all of our Members. Most recent excursions include Kew Gardens, Compton Acres (Poole) and Jane Austen’s house at Chawton.
- compete at the New Forest Show (but we will celebrate 100 years of the NFS at a future date) and
- like to take part in the various competitions and events organised by Hampshire Federation and the Beaulieu Group (to which we belong) such as Darts, Skittles and Quizzes as well as the Spring and Autumn meetings.
Although many of our Group activities are currently suspended, our Craft Club has moved online and is proving to be very popular. Regular Quiz Nights are also being run and these are both great fun and well attended.
Visitors are always welcome and with no obligation to join, so why not come along? To find out more and take part in our ‘Zoom’ meetings please email Tracybaker@hampshirewi.org.uk . When things are back to normal we will resume our meetings at our usual venue. Click here for a local map. Look forward to seeing you soon!
- 25th January A taste of Africa
We’re really pleased that Tom Way, wildlife photographer, will be joining us once again. This time to regale us with his tales of shooting animals in Africa (but only through a lens!).
- 22nd February Quirky Birds – So you think you can’t draw?
If the last time you picked up a pencil/paintbrush was in school – never fear – this session is definitely for you!
- 22nd March Mother’s Ruin
Mildred Freeman will lead us through the history of gin!
- 26th April The Power of Plants
Lyn Lalero of Plant Therapy, London will explain the health benefits of plants, the governments’ move towards ‘social prescribing’ and what that means to us. She will also discuss the health benefits of certain foods and medicinal plants. Don’t miss her describe the Japanese art of Shinrin-Yoku (Forest bathing). Given our location this is something we can all try – weather permitting!
- 24th May Life on the Rails
Susie Cooper will regale us with her experiences as a train driver.
- 29th June NB date and time change – Outdoor meeting postponed to July due to bad weather. The Meeting will be held by zoom instead – don’t forget to wear a hat!
- 26th July NB time change Outdoor face to face meeting at Mary’s.This meeting will be held between 6-8pm. Please take your own chair!
The Committee is hopeful that indoor meetings can resume from September 2021. Watch this space!
- August – no meeting
- 27th September Vision on
Twinkle Patel from our local opticians, will be telling us about life as an optician.
- 25th October My life in the police force (as told through the medium of quilts by Jackie Dimmock) NB we will be trialling a hybrid meeting ie. a face to face meeting for those able to attend whilst being simultaneously streamed via zoom. As the meeting hall does not have a hearing loop , microphones have been purchased to facilitate hearing by all.
- 22nd November Annual crafting session – Mosaics!
- 20th December Christmas Party – as usual this will take the form of an American Supper (Covid permitting). This year we are each invited to recite a poem/song/reading about Christmas and bring something that relates to what we’ve recited. This year’s ‘bling’ item will be a fancy scarf – it can be anything – from woolly scarf to feather boa! And yes, there will also be a Secret Santa…
- 24th January Michelle Gordon of WI Wanderers fame will be joining us to talk about her early career and what led her and Alison to set up the WI Wanderers. This meeting will be held on zoom only.
Craft Club continues but currently only on a virtual basis. Anyone interested in attending please contact Anita M.
- 14th January Flower arranging
This month Ginny will lead us in decorating our homes with flowers/foliage principally sourced from the garden.
- 11th February Felt flowers
Tracy is showing us how to make felt flowers – you’ll need felt scraps and the template from your recent meeting bag
- 11th March Decorating eggs for Easter
Get out your paint pots and be prepared to decorate eggs for Easter with Dot
- 8th April Beading – how to make a dragonfly
Anita will show us how to be creative with beads . There is a nominal charge of £2 for this session to cover cost of materials. Craft packs will be included with the March meeting bag of all members who have expressed an interest.
- 11th May Cards – how to make a birthday card with floral motifs
This month is all about birthday cards and Sue M is going to show us how to make a really attractive birthday card with floral motifs, that’s sure to be a hit with whoever is lucky enough to receive it. Sue will make up craft packs and these will be included within the April meeting bag for any members who have expressed an interest. In addition, you’ll need to have the following to hand on the day: pencil, rubber, ruler, bone folder/ something to score card, double sided tape or glue, spare sheets of A4 paper (doesn’t matter if it’s plain or lined, either will do), colouring pens or pencils.
- 10th June Flower arranging
Anita M is going to talk us through how to make a floral display so be sure to have flowers, greenery from the garden and secateurs to hand!
- 8th July Flamingo!
This month Tracy will show us how to make a beautiful felt flamingo pincushion.
- no meeting in August. Craft club meetings will continue to be held via zoom throughout 2021
- 16th September Cards
Once again Sue M will show us how to make some more beautiful cards.
- 14th October Beaded Christmas Tree
Anita M will be hosting this craft club session. Please note that this will be held 7-9pm
- 25th November Fabric pine cones NB date change
Tracy will show us how to make these lovely Christmas cones – ideal for hanging on your tree. Details of what you will need will be provided at the main October and November meetings.
- 16th December Annual Christmas Craft Session
Covid-19 restrictions permitting, this will be the traditional f2f Prosecco morning hosted by Tracy.
- 13th January Cork Board
Debbie will demonstrate how to make a cork board so you can keep all your little notes/notices in one place. Lots of corks will be needed so start collecting them now!
- February Pillowcase dress
Karen will show us how to make a child’s dress from a pillowcase. When complete, if wished, these can be donated to the African charity which will be supported by the WI Tent at the New Forest Show.
- March Macrame
Details currently being finalised.
This will run monthly, 1st Thursday of the month, starting at 7.30pm (zoom)
- 6th May The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
- 3rd June Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- 1st July* The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner
Host: Sue M
*after the book discussion we will select the books for the period Oct-Feb inclusive
- 2nd September The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
Host: Sue C.
- 7th October The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
- 4th November The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Host: Anita P
- 2nd December * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
Host: Margaret Read
*after the book discussion we will select the books for the period Mar – July inclusive
- 6th January Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
Host: Anita M
- 3rd February East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- 21st January It’s Quiz night. Thanks to Katherine for once again compiling the quiz and asking the questions.
- 4th February Online coffee morning – zoom starts at 10.30. Time for coffee and a chat
- 22nd April Wine and Quiz evening
Please check the rota to see when you’re on tea duty. Members please note that if you’re not attending the meeting you’re doing teas for please make arrangements to swap with another member. Tea, coffee/decaf, milk, clean crockery and tea towels are supplied – however, please bring cake, biscuits etc. Thank-you.
- 27th October Mo and Karen
- 22nd November Katherine and Sara
- 20th December Liz and Dot
- January Lisa C and Maria
- February Hilary and Margaret
- March Jean and Anita P
- April Amanda and Sheila
- May Jan and Pat
- June Ginny and Mary O
- July Helen and Sylvia
- August No meeting
- September Sue H and Lisa W
- October Heather and Mary M
- November Angie and Katherine
- 27th January In Grandma’s Footsteps – Liz Barron continues her story as she tells us what happened to her grandmother after she left China
Plus Resolution selection
- 24th February Life Changing Magic of tidying! – Sue Spencer tells us how to declutter our lives and how to fold knickers perfectly
- March /April Cancelled due to Covid 19
- 1st June AM – Unfortunately, due to ‘lockdown’ it was not possible to hold our AM. Thankfully our existing Officers have agreed to extend their term of office until things get back to normal. A great big ‘thank-you’ to you all!
- 22nd June ‘Virtual’ Flower Arranging in a Teapot – be sure to have a teapot and fresh flowers to hand so that you can learn how to make an arrangement and then share your creation with others!
- 27th July NB date and time change — ‘Virtual’ meeting with Alison Stuart, Australian published author (this meeting will start at 10a.m.) Alison Stuart, is joining us from Oz! Alison is an award winning Australian author and she will be talking to us about how she researched her latest series of books which are set in Singapore.
- August As usual there will be no meeting in August – however look out for Picnic in the Park
- 28th September Codes and AM – Presidential election followed by a presentation on the history and use of codes – with audience participation. Prepare to unlock some secret messages!
- 26th October Tropic Skincare – For regular viewers of ‘The Apprentice” the name Caroline Caine-Richardson will likely be all too familiar. Why not dial in to her presentation on her range of Tropic skincare – it’s sure to be informative.
- 23rd November Time to get crafty – In this years’ group craft session we’re going to learn how to make a festive fabric wreath
- 21st December Blingo Bingo – Be sure to wear something sparkly for the Christmas party !