Hello and welcome to Arford WI’s web page.
Never heard of Arford?? It is a small hamlet within the boundaries of Headley Village near Bordon. Nearly 50 years ago the young mums of Headley wanted to join a local WI, but because the meetings were held in the afternoon when they were unable to leave their small children, they formed their own evening WI and called it Arford.
We actually meet at the Church Centre in Headley Village GU35 8PP and many of our members are from Lindford, Whitehill, Bordon and Grayshott. So you don’t have to live in Headley or Arford to be a member.
We meet on the 4th Thursday of each month at 8pm and we try to make our meetings as varied and as interesting as possible.
Our monthly activities include “stitch and bitch”, lunches and walking. There are quarterly friendly Scrabble “competitions” and outings to local attractions/events are offered throughout the year. In addition we take part in the WI Group skittles and quiz competitions.
If you would like to know more about ARFORD WI, please email us: email@example.com. You may also like to visit our Facebook page (link below)
I missed posting on April Fools’ Day so all that follows is true. I was never a good joker anyway…
- Thursday, 4 April, 12.30pm: Lunch at Squires Garden Centre, Frensham
- Wednesday, 10 April, 9.30am: walk: meet at Headley Church Centre
- Wednesday, 10 April, 7pm: East Hants Borders Group meeting, Liphook Church Centre
- Wednesday, 24 April, 2.00pm: Stitch & Bitch
- Thursday, 25 April,8pm: Monthly Meeting with demonstration of Bollywood Dancing (maybe the start of a second career….)
- Tuesday, 7 May, 2pm: Scrabble
Please contact us for details.
2 March 2019
Hope everyone has been able to enjoy the spring-like weather the past couple of weeks. Now that it is meteorological spring, the storms are on the way!
Upcoming Arford WI Events
- Wednesday, 6 March, 12.30pm, Lunch at Duke of Cambridge Pub
- Tuesday, 12 March, 9.30am, meet at Headley Church Centre for walk at Frensham Little Pond
- Wednesday, 27 March, Stitch & Bitch. Message us for details.
- Thursday, 28 March, 8pm, Members Only Social Meeting, Headley Church Centre
Upcoming East Hants Borders Group Events
- Spring Group Meeting , Wednesday 10th April, Liphook Church Centre 7pm; Speaker: Kerrie Ellis – Accessorise, Accessorise, Accessorise. Hostess: Liphook; Competition: Any homemade accessory in any medium – 1 item per person. Numbers by March meeting
- Quiz, Tuesday 11th June, Liphook Church Centre 7.00pm
- Skittles, Friday 20th September, Headley Village Hall 7.00pm. There will be a raffle and an American Supper
- Autumn Group Meeting, Tuesday 24th September, Kingsley Centre 2.30pm; Speaker: George Yates – From Lancashire Witches to the Magic Circle
1 February 2019
Lovely snowfall overnight: just enough to make it look pretty before it melts away quickly (hopefully!)
February is often cited by people as the most depressing month, but it doesn’t have to be: join us on Wednesday, 6 February for the monthly lunch. It will be at The Temple at Liss. Meet there at 1230.
Then you can enjoy our monthly walk on Wednesday, 13 February. Meet at the Headley Church Centre at 0930.
If you are still feeling down, come to the “Stitch & Bitch” for friendship and laughs on Wednesday, 27 February at 2pm. Contact us for details.
And final, come to the monthly meeting on Thursday, 28 February at 8pm at Headley Church Centre to hear a talk about the Maasai of Kenya and Tanzania
8 January 2019: walk in Bourne Woods, Surrey
6 October 2018
September was a busy and exciting month with an East Hampshire Borders Group skittles competition, a Group Cream Tea, participation in the Headley Fete and an open meeting in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Arford WI. We were very fortunate to have Hampshire WI president, Maureen Levenson tell us about her interesting and varied time in the WI.
- Wednesday, 10th October: Monthly Walk, 9.30am, Headley Church Centre
- Wednesday, 24th October: Stitch & Bitch, 2pm-4pm
- Thursday, 25th October: Monthly Meeting, 8pm, Headley Church Centre: talk will be “Dreams Come True” about the children’s charity
- Monday, 29th October: Autumn Group Meeting, Whitehill Village Hall, 2.30pm. Talk will be “Mr Clay’s Freckles” by a speaker from the Jane Austen Museum and will be about make up in the Regency Period
- Tuesday, 27th November: Christmas Shopping Outing to West Quay Shopping Centre, 9.30am to 5.30pm, leaving from Headley Church Centre (pick up in Grayshott as well). A few seats are still available, friends & family welcomed, £10
Please email us for additional information.
27 August 2018
Do hope everyone is having a pleasant Bank Holiday and is not too upset by the shortening days and cooler temperatures.
Despite the title of our programme for August, “Every Night Something Awful”, the evening was anything but. Mr Alan Grace told us all about ENSA: Entertainments National Service Association. ENSA was set up in 1939 to provide entertainment to British troops, military personnel and staff in hospitals and civilians in munitions factories. Mr Grace held our interest with stories, audio clips and photos of some of the many actors who joined ENSA.
- Lunch Club: Tuesday, Sept 4th, 12.30pm, Jolly Drover, Liss
- East Hants Borders Group Cream Tea: Friday, Sept 7th, 2pm, Headley Church Centre: bring and buy stall
- Walk: Tuesday, Sept 11th, 9.30am, meet at Headley Church Centre
- Headley Village Fete, Saturday Sept 15th: we will be providing tea and cakes and having a display in the Village Hall: helpers needed
- East Hants Borders Group Skittles Competition: Friday, Sept 21st, 7pm, Headley Village Hall: team supporters welcomed: bring a contribution to the American Supper
- Stitch & Bitch: Wednesday, Sept 26th, 2pm
- Open Monthly Meeting in celebration of our 50th Anniversary, Thursday, Sept 27th, 8pm, Headley Church Centre. All past Arford WI members are especially welcomed to attend. The speaker’s topic will be Women Workers in the Dockyard During WWI. Please bring any Arofrd WI memorabilia for display.
Looking for a volunteer to host the next friendly Scrabble: date and time of your choosing.
Please email us for any additional information.
4 August 2018
The celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Arford WI took place on Thursday the 26th of July: the last sweltering day before the welcomed weekend of rain and cooler temperatures.
We had a good turn out of members despite the need for fans at the Headley Church Centre. We were welcomed with a glass of prosecco, listened to golden oldies played by a talented local duo, had a sumptuous buffet, watched the cake cutting by the first president and the current president, enjoyed the delicious cake and finally danced the night away to the great music.
So, the second 5o years begins. We can burn off those celebration calories on Wednesday the 8th on the monthly walk. Meet at Headley Church Centre at 9.30am.
The monthly Stitch and Bitch will be held on Wednesday, 22 August at 2pm.
On Thursday, 23rd August our speaker at the monthly meeting will be telling us about the Entertainment National Services Association that provided entertainment to the troops during WWII. The meeting at the Headley Church Centre starts at 8pm.
Two reminders: The non-refundable deposit of £10 for the coach outing to West Quay on 27 November will be collected next month. And all past members of Arford WI are welcomed to our 27 September meeting.
- Friday 7 Sept: cream tea in honour of the 100th anniversary of Hampshire WI and the Blackmore Whitehill WI and the 50th anniversary of Arford. Headley Church Centre, 2pm. Donation £2. Friends welcomed as well as members.
- Saturday, 8 Sept: Headley Village Fete: WI volunteers needed to bake a cake or serve teas.
Please email us for further information on all the above.
1 July 2018
Summer is either one third over or two thirds left depending on your outlook on life. And most of us find ourselves in a very unusual frame of mind: hoping for some rain soon!
Our speaker at our June meeting took us back to the days when a holiday at the British seaside was the height of fashion. We enjoyed the reminiscing, especially the “sing a long” titbits (although any of us raised in America might have been at a loss for the words!)
- Lunch: Wednesday, 4 July, 1230, Three Horseshoes, East Worldham
- Walk: Tuesday, 10 July, 0930, Headley Church Centre
- Stitch & Bitch, Wednesday, 25 July, 2pm
- 50th Anniversary Party, Thursday, 26 July, 7pm, Headley Church Centre: Members Only
East Hants Borders Group Events
- Cream Tea, Friday, 7 September, 2-5pm, Headley Church Centre
- Skittles Competition, Friday, 21 September, 7pm, Headley Village Hall
Save the Date: We will be taking part in the procession, mounting a WI display, and serving tea and cakes at the Headley Village Fete on Saturday, 15 September. More details next month.
Invitation to all former Arford WI members: join us for our Open Meeting on the 27 September to help us commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Arford WI. The meeting starts at 8pm in the Headley Church Centre and the speaker will be Colin Lay who will be telling us about “Women Workers in the Dockyard During WWI”
1 June 2018
- LUNCH CLUB -Tuesday 5th June, 12.30pm, at The Flying Bull, Rake. GU33 7JB
- WALKING GROUP – Wednesday 13th June, meet 9.30am at the Church Centre
- SCRABBLE –Tuesday 19th June at 2pm
- STITCH & BITCH: Wednesday, 27 June, 2pm
- MONTHLY MEETING-Thursday 28TH June, 8pm: Speaker: Sheila Willis – “Beside the Seaside”: piers, saucy postcards, deckchairs, donkeys etc.
- CHANGE OF DATE: East Hants Borders Group’s cream tea has been rescheduled from 16 June to the 7th of September
1 March 2018
Happy St David’s Day and the first day of meteorological spring! Not the best of weathers with the snow and wind. Hope everyone is inside and warm! Photo was from last week and shows the native daffodils that were planted in honour of Arford’s 50th Anniversary in 2018, starting to come through.
March events start off with the monthly lunch on Tuesday 6 March, 12.30 for 1.00pm, The Links, Liphook.
A week later, Tuesday, 13 March, we will be walking off that meal on the monthly walk: meet at Headley Church Centre at 9.30am.
Our meeting on Thursday, 22 March at 8.00pm is a social evening with a range of crafting activities on offer, although those of us without a crafting bone in our bodies will still enjoy the companionship and cake!
Companionship is on offer as well at the monthly “Stitch and Bitch”: Wednesday, 28 March, 2.00pm.
Arford will be hosting the Spring Group Meeting on Thursday, 19 April, at 7.00pm at the Forest Community Centre, Bordon. Please come support the East Hampshire Borders Group and enjoy the talk and competition (both are about hats).
For more information, please email us.
1 February 2018
Hope everyone is staying warm despite the chilly February winds. At least the sun was out today!
At the January meeting, Julie Gallagher talked about doorstep and telephone scams. Her talk was timely, entertaining and interesting. In addition, the question session afterwards provided more invaluable tips to help us avoid becoming victims of fraud.
Business at the meeting included a report from the two members who attended Gardeners’ Question Time at Sparsholt College and notices about future openings for committee membership and a welfare officer in May. Also, the president reported that we raised £73 at the trading tables in Nov for our 50th celebration this year and £127 was raised at our Christmas party for the RNLI.
Activities for February include:
- The lunch club ladies are enjoying themselves today at Applegarth.
- Wednesday, 14 February: Walking Group: meet at Headley Church Centre at 0930
- Thursday, 22 February: Monthly Meeting: 8pm: Headley Church Centre
- Wednesday, 28 February: Stitch & Bitch: 2pm-4pm
Upcoming group & county events:
- Thursday, 19 April: East Hants Borders Group Spring Meeting: 7pm, Forest Community Centre, Bordon. We are hosting so all members are encouraged to attend and to help with refreshments
- Centenary Concert: The Anvil, Basingstoke, 17 March 2018. Closing date 16 February 2018
- 2018 Huxley Cup: Friday 15 – Sunday 17 June 2018. Staging day Thursday 14 June 2018
- flower arrangement competition
Please email us for further information.
14 December 2017: Christmas Party
1 November 2017
The October meeting was well attended and welcomed back a popular speaker. The room was filled with laughter as Ann Chance explained why she was “Seasick in Sinai”. It was refreshing to realise one did not have to have slides to paint an extremely vivid picture of a place where few of us have been.
Upcoming events in November:
- Tuesday, 7th: the lunch this month is an afternoon tea! Meet at the Chocolate Frog, Oakhanger at 3pm
- Wednesday, 8th: meet at the church centre at 0930 for the monthly walk
- Wednesday, 8th: crafting group (places have been allocated)
- Thursday, 9th: Scrabble at 2pm
- Wednesday, 22nd: Stitch & Bitch at 2pm
- Thursday, 23rd: Monthly Meeting at 8pm: resolution short list discussion & fund raising for our celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Arford in 2018.
Preview of December Events
- Wednesday, 6th: Christmas Lunch at Alton House Hotel
- Friday, 8th: East Hants Borders Group Christmas Carol Concert at 2.30pm at All Saints, Kingsley
- Thursday, 14th: Christmas Party: members only
Please email or message us for more information.
1 October 2017
I imagine many of you are as surprised as I am that it is already October. September went by in a flash. One of the highlights was our tour of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst on a glorious autumn day. We were joined by several members of other federations in the East Hampshire Borders Group. Our excellent tour guides were from The Sandhurst Trust. See photos below.
Future activities at Arford WI:
- Daffodil Planting to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Arford WI in 2018 – Monday, 2 October, 2:00pm, Headley Church Centre
- Lunch Club – Thursday, 5 October, 1230pm, The Royal Oak, Wrecclesham
- Walking Group – Tuesday 10 October, 9.30am Headley Church Centre
- Craft – Wednesday 11 October (places have been allocated)
- Autumn East Hants Borders Group Meeting – Thursday, 12 October, 2:30pm, Liphook Church Centre
- Stitch and Bitch – Wednesday, 25 October, 2pm
- Monthly Meeting – Thursday, 26 October, 8pm, speaker: Mrs Ann Chance – ‘Seasick in Sinai’.
Email us for more information.
26 August 2017
Hope everyone is enjoying the return of summer this Bank Holiday Weekend.
Arford WI got the weekend started early on Thursday with an intriguingly titled talk: “Penguins in the Desert: Secrets of Abu Dhabi. Dr Frances Hurd ‘s memory of her time in Abu Dhabi as an inspector of schools was in stark contrast to what most tourists encounter. The information was extremely thought provoking.
On a lighter note, here are the upcoming Events for September:
· Wed, 6 Sept: Monthly Lunch Outing: Meet at 12.30pm at The Jolly Farmer, Blacknest
· Wed, 13 Sept: Monthly Walk: meet at Headley Church Centre at 9.30am
· Wed, 13 Sept: Monthly Craft Activity: places have been allocated by ballot
· Fri, 15 Sept: Pamper Evening sponsored by Blackmoor and Whitehill WI at Whitehill Village Hall, 7.30pm. Entry £2
· Sat, 16 Sept: Arford WI will have an information table at “Here’s Headley” from 10.30am to 4.30pm
· Fri, 22 Sept: Macmillan Coffee Morning hosted by one of our members from 10.30am
· Wed, 27 Sept: Monthly “Stitch and Bitch” from 2pm to 4pm (neither activity required: just an excuse for a friendly get together)
· Thurs, 28 Sept: Monthly Meeting at 8pm.: talk will be about how the charity “Canine Partners” helps physically disabled people
For details, please email us.
Garden Meeting 27 July 2017
30 July 2017
Great news: our quiz teams came first and second in the East Hants Borders Group competition recently. Congratulations and good luck to the first place team that will represent the group at county level.
August activities start off with the Lunch Club on the first at the Spread Eagle in Liss, 1230pm.
The next event is a special fun afternoon to raise funds for our 50th Anniversary celebrations next year. One of our committee members will be hosting a fun afternoon of games, refreshments and a handbag and scarf sale on Friday, 4 August from, 2.30pm to 4.30pm.
The monthly walk is on Tuesday, 8 August starting at Headley Church Centre at 0930. If the weather cooperates, we will head to Thursley Nature Reserve to admire the heather and dragonflies before an optional stop for blueberry picking.
The crafters meet on the 9th. Places have already been allocated by ballot.
Bramshott WI is hosting a cream tea at Liphook Church Centre on Monday, 14 August at 2pm.
There will be a Friendly Scrabble get together at our president’s house on Tuesday, 15 August at 7pm. It has been a while since we had Scrabble in the evening so hopefully our members who cannot attend day activities will be able to share in the fun.
The penultimate activity will be the Stitch and Bitch on Wed, 23 August at 2pm.
Our monthly meeting on Thursday, 24 August at 8pm. The talk will be “Penguins in the Desert: Secrets of Abu Dhabi” given by Dr Frances Hurd.
For details please email us.
23 June 2017
All the members who attended the monthly meeting last night must still be chuckling to themselves. Gwen Appleton, a perennial favourite with our WI, amused us with her observations on how growing older affects our health, diet, exercise, social sphere and personal relationships. A top tip: later in life marriages: register your gift list at a pharmacy!
Events in July
- Lunch Club, 6th at 1230 at The Hen and Chicken in Upper Froyle
- Crafting Group, 12th at 1015: there may be available spaces
- Walking Group, 12th, meet at Headley Church Centre at 0930
- Stitch & Bitch, 26th at 2PM
- Annual Garden Party (members only) 27th at 7PM
For details, email us.
6 June 2017
Hopefully everyone is staying dry this morning; It will be better tomorrow, especially because it is Lunch Club day! Meet at 1230 at Frensham Garden Centre.
Next Tuesday, 13 June, we meet for a walk at 0930 at the Church Centre: keep the power of positive thinking: it will not rain, it will not rain..
Wed the 14th is the crafting group day for all the lucky ones who have reserved a place.
And an activity that does not depend on the weather: Stitch & Bitch on 28 June at 2PM
The East HANTS Borders group annual quiz is on Monday, 26 June, 7PM at Liphook Church Centre.
Our June meeting is on Thursday, 22nd at 8PM and the talk will be “As good as it gets-how to grow old disgracefully”: advice that will come in handy in 20 or 30 years……
For details, send us an email.
On the warm evening of 25 May, Arford WI members gathered for the AGM and “Mini Show”. After a short monthly meeting when both resolutions that will be considered at the national meeting in June were supported, and a tea break when members could admire all the show entries, business of the AGM began.
After the presentation and adoption of the financial statement, budget, annual report, and President’s report, it was time for the awards. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of the mini show were announced. The theme of the show was Jerusalem (see photo of the winning needlework entry). Then individual members were honoured for the most flower of the month winners, highest accumulative Scrabble points and contribution to the running of the WI by a non-committee member.
Flowers were presented to committee members who were stepping down and our secretary of 8 years was thanked for her long service.
Our committee member who expertly plans our speaker programme told us about the interesting topics that will be discussed in the coming year.
A round of applause followed the announcement of the committee members for the coming year. All members realise what a fantastic job they do for us.
At our April meeting yesterday we were treated to an entertaining talk by John Pitman. Not only did we learn “what the butler saw” we were able to examine many items that were used in stately homes in the Victorian and Edwardian times, both upstairs and downstairs
In addition to the speaker, the “Flower of the Month” competition provided us with a particularly difficult choice this month.
As always, the crafters impressed us with their skill by displaying several photo frames and small boxes.
Lunch Club: 2 May at the Flying Bull, Rake, 1230
Spring East Hants Borders Group Meeting: 2 May, Kingsley Centre, 7pm
Walking Group, 10 May, 0930, Church Centre
Craft Group, 10 May (places have been allocated)
Scrabble, 12 May , 2pm
Stitch & Bitch, 24 May, 2pm
Annual Meeting and “Mini Show” (theme, the poem “Jerusalem”), 25 May, 8pm. Note this is a members only meeting.
Group Quiz, 26 June, 7pm, Liphook Church Centre: more team members needed, please
We are looking forward to our social evening meeting on Thursday, 23 March. We will play various table games and enjoy cakes made by our hardworking committee members.
Upcoming events (email us for details)
- Lunch Club, Thursday, 6 April, 12.30pm, Royal Oak, Wrecclesham
- Walking Group, Tuesday, 11 April, 9.30am, Headley Church Centre
- Craft Day, Wednesday, 12 April, 10.15am (places have been allocated by ballot)
- Friendly Skittles, Friday 21 April, 7pm, Whitehill Village Hall (hosted by Blackmoor and Whitehill WI)
- Stitch and Bitch, Wednesday, 26 April, 2pm
- Monthly Meeting, Thursday, 27 April, 8pm, Headley Church Centre
- Scottish Dance Evening, Friday, 28 April, 7pm, Headley Village Hall
- East Hants Borders Group WI Meeting, Tuesday, 2 May, 7pm, Kingsley Centre
February 2017 Walking Group
February 2017 Lunch Club
The New Year activities will kick off with a scrabble afternoon on Tuesday 10th January to be held at the President’s house at 2.00 pm and then on Wednesday 11th, there will be a walk. Anybody who wishes to participate will be welcome and the group will meet at the Church Centre Car Park at 9.30 a.m
The May meeting was also the Annual Meeting. The Committee for the year 2016-2017 was appointed. The outgoing president was thanked for her efforts over the past year.
The monthly craft meeting will be held on Wednesday 8th June, for basic card making instruction and for those who were not chosen in the ballot for places in the class there will be a get together at 10.30 am at the Chocolate Frog for morning coffee and gossip.
Stitch and bitch will be held on Wednesday 22 June at 2.00 p.m.
A small group of Lunch Club regulars met at The Temple Inn, West Liss on Thursday 2nd June at 12.30 p.m where they enjoyed an excellent meal and wide ranging discussions that put the world to rights.
The June meeting heard Mr. John Sandy talk about his experiences as a Prison Governor. He pointed out that criminals are sent to prison as punishment, not to be punished. He talked about the ways in which attempts (frequently successful) are made to educate and rehabilitate the inmates especially when they are habitual re-offenders, and entertained the members with some of the tragicomedy of the prisoners attempts to circumvent rules.
The July meeting is a private members only garden party to be held by kind invitation of one of our members. If it rains alternative arrangements have been made.
The Lunch Club meeting was held on Tuesday 5th July at 12.30p.m at Applegarth Farm Restaurant where a group of ladies enjoyed the excellent food and lively discussions. The next meeting will be on Wednesday 3rd August, venue to be announced later.
The walking group met at the Church Centre in Headley on 29th June but due to the inclement weather instead of proceeding to the planned walk at Chawton, they went for a walk around Ludshott Common before retiring to Applegarth (a favourite venue) for coffee and cake. Weather permitting it is hoped that the Chawton walk will now take place on the 27 July.
Craft Group for July is pencil drawing but the class is fully subscribed. For anyone else there will be a gathering at Forest Lodge on Wednesday, 13 July, for Coffee, Cake and general chat.
The Scrabblers met on 19 July, despite the heat, for a sociable afternoon of concentrated thought, tea and delicious homemade biscuits.
Unfortunately the rain arrived on the day of the Garden Party which made the lawns at the hostess’s garden rather soggy so Plan B had to be actioned. Instead of an al fresco picnic the ladies had to make do with meeting in the Church Centre as usual but nevertheless everyone enjoyed the social get together and the delicious puds supplied by committee members.
On Wednesday, 3 August, several “Ladies who Lunch” enjoyed an al fresco meal at the Holly Bush in Frensham and as an additional outing there was an evening get together on Wednesday 10 August at the Fox and Pelican. This gave members who cannot make the daytime venues a chance to join in but at an evening get together.
Craft this month will be Padded Boxes and for those who have not been chosen for the class on Wednesday 10 August, there will be a coffee meeting at Applegarth starting at 10.30am.
The July walk around Chawton was very successful and the August Walk will take place on Tuesday 10th August. Walkers will meet up at the Church Centre at 9.30a.m as usual before moving off.
August saw the walkers traversing the new footpath through the Bordon Enclosure which proved interesting and invigorating. The Crafters started making decorative padded boxes and these were much admired when they were displayed at the meeting.
The talk entitled “The Sewing Room” proved to be an entertaining account of a mystery written by a seamstress over 100 years ago and found in a notebook amongst the family papers of the speaker Mrs. Heather Wylde.
The 1st September saw a group of ladies enjoy lunch at the Greatham Inn and then of the 6th September many of the ladies were delighted to accept the invitation to coffee and the opportunity to view the glorious quilt that one of our members has been constructing for many moons.
The Crafters met on 14th September for instruction in working with Parchment and on the same day another group went walking.
Stitch and Bitch will be on 28th September (the fourth Wednesday in the month as usual) and, as listed, all members will meet on 22nd September at the Church Centre when the speaker will take us on a journey of discovery about felt.
The Lunch Club will be at the Crown Inn in Arford on Tuesday 4th October and there will also be a dinner meeting on Wednesday 12 October at the Greatham Inn.
October is a busy month as the Autumn Council Meeting for Hampshire Federation takes place on the 18th October at the Anvil in Basingstoke and it is the Autumn meeting of the Liphook Group of WI’s on the 13th October at the Church Centre in Liphook – an opportunity to meet up with members of other local institutes.
The October meeting was a change from the originally planned evening. Due to unforeseen circumstances the event took place in the Church as the Church Centre renovations had not been finished and then on the morning of the meeting the planned speaker was obliged to drop out due to family problems and it was impossible to find a replacement at such short notice. However the early arrivals enjoyed listening to the choir as they finished their practice and after the usual business matters had been completed the ladies enjoyed the chance to chat and catch up with each other in an informal get together.
Lunch Club was held at The Mill Tavern at Shottermill where the group who attended enjoyed excellent meals and as usual put the world to rights and then the November walkers went for a stroll around Alice Holt Forest before going to the cafe for the usual refreshments and warm up.
The November meeting will be held as usual in the Church Centre.
It is with great regret Arford WI has learnt that one of our founder members, Wyn Nixson, has passed away. Wyn was originally a member of the now defunct Headley WI which met in the afternoons. Then in 1968, Wyn and a group of other younger members of that WI, decided that as they all had young children it would be much easier to meet in the evenings so that their husbands could babysit for them whilst they enjoyed an evening out. Arford WI was duly founded and Wyn was an early President. She went on to become a VCO (now known as a WIA) for Hampshire Federation. She has continued to play a big part in the life of Arford WI and until recently organised our outings. Wyn will be missed by all in her wide circle of friends.
The November meeting heard a lively talk about the importance of fresh clean Water in developing countries. The importance of providing water and sanitation to impoverished villages in African countries was outlined and it was pointed out that these basic necessities helped to improve health and education for struggling communities.
The Lunch Club held their Christmas meal on 1st December at The Mill at Elstead. 26 Ladies sat down to an excellent lunch enlivened by Father Christmas hats, crackers, party poppers and lively conversation. A great start to the festive season.
The group Carol Concert was held a St Mark’s Church in Bordon. Arford Bells and the Blackmore and Whitehill WI Choir contributed charming interludes between the readings and carols. This was followed by Coffee and Mince Pies which gave those attending a chance to catch up with friends from other WI’s within Liphook Group.
On 14th December, the Crafters enjoyed a lively planning meeting ready for 2017 followed by another festive celebration lunch, this time at the Fox and Pelican in Grayshott, during which members were thanked for opening up their homes to hold the craft sessions.
The Christmas Party held on 15th December ran smoothly thanks to the efforts of the Committee who organised the event. The entertainment skits were much appreciated and the nibbles which everybody had contributed were enjoyed by all. A fun and sociable evening was very much appreciated by all who were able to attend.
Finally as a respite from all the Christmas preparations several of the members enjoyed an impromtu Stitch and Bitch meeting on 21st December at Christine Leonard’s home where they were treated to a delicious selection of cakes and mince pies with cups of tea after an industrious afternoon of stitching and good conversation.
Hoping everyone had a Happy Christmas and with best wishes for a Great and Prosperous New Year.